As Kimbrell attempted to put out the flames he could see, unknowingly his garage, at 3623 Glenda Ave., became engulfed in flames.
“I thought I had it out, but at that time the entire house was filling up with smoke, so I got my wife and 7-year-old granddaughter out,” he said.
As he opened the garage door he knew it was time for him to get out of the home as well.
“We tried to get all of our pets, but there wasn’t enough time,” he said, sitting on the tailgate of an old Chevrolet pickup watching the flames destroy his home.
Dixie, Lindale and Noonday firefighters were quick on the scene, but the home was engulfed in flames.
“We got the manpower here, and we have a pretty good knockdown on it now,” he said looking at the home still burning.
“We did rescue one cat from the home,” he added.
Smith County Fire Marshal Jim Seaton said he would talk with the owners, but he did not have an immediate cause of the blaze.
Kimbrell said he believes it may have been faulty wiring in the stove.
“We have lived there 20 years, and it is hard to watch, but my wife, granddaughter and I got out. I just wish we could have gotten all of our pets out,” he said.