A.M. UPDATE: Fire totals Tyler mobile home; Super Bowl blackout blamed on faulty 'relay'
MOBILE HOME LOST IN FIRE
An early morning fire burned a Smith County home to the ground. It happened just after 1 this morning in the 5400 block of Farm to Market Road 14, that's inside Loop 323. Firefighters told our news partners, CBS 19, that when they got to the scene, the mobile home was fully engulfed. The family was home at the time, but everyone was able to make it out safely.
ASTEROID WILL COME CLOSE TO EARTH
A 150-foot-wide asteroid will come remarkably close to Earth next week, even closer than high-flying communication and weather satellites. It will be the nearest known flyby for an object of this size. But don't worry. Scientists promise the megarock will be at least 17,100 miles away when it zips past next Friday.
FAULTY RELAY BLAMED FOR SUPER BOWL BLACKOUT
A New Orleans power company says the cause of the Super Bowl blackout was a faulty device that had been installed to PREVENT a failure of electric cables leading to the Superdome. Officials say the device, called a relay, had been installed to protect the stadium from a cable failure between the company's incoming power line and lines that run into the stadium. Company officials said the device performed without problem during January's Sugar Bowl and other earlier events.
MOM STEAL SON'S COLLEGE SIGNING FORM
Did you hear about the mom who swiped her son's letter of intent and ran to keep him from going to school and playing football at Arkansas? Well, Alex Collins signed the letter eventually, but his mom is still determined to have her say.
I-REPORTING WITH TYLERPAPER.COM
Would you like to be an i-reporter for TylerPaper.com? Take a look at the video immediately below!
Thanks for watching, and look for our midday news update around the noon hour!