Jason Anderson, Patricia Simmons and their children, ranging in age from 5 to 9, awoke and left the house in the 200 block of North Mimosa Street while it was “filling up with smoke real fast,” Steelman said. The blaze, which was still under investigation on Tuesday, may have resulted from a candle that was left unattended, and foul play isn’t suspected, he added.
Steelman said he was unsure what awoke the family, but he did say the home did have a smoke alarm, although family members didn’t recall hearing it. The fire gutted the living room, kitchen and dining room of the frame house, but it didn’t destroy all the family’s possessions, he said.
Ore City, Diana, and South Shores firefighters responded to the blaze, reported at 11:58 p.m. The South Shores fire department is in Marion County.
The trailer, which Steelman said was owned by Sheela Denton and used for storage, was on the ground when firefighters arrived, Henderson said.
Steelman said he didn’t know the cause of the fire but is investigating. Foul play isn’t suspected, he added.
East Mountain and Glenwood firefighters joined the Gilmer Fire Department in responding to the blaze at 8:55 p.m., Henderson said.