Lucas Miller, 34, of Hawkins, died after firefighters arrived at the scene of a “smoldering” fire inside an RV-type mobile home, Jones said. The fire was limited to the kitchen area but created heavy smoke, he said.
Jones said Miller was found by neighbors on his bedroom floor. They dragged him from the home, he said. Firefighters attempted CPR, but Miller did not respond.
Miller graduated Hawkins High School in 1997. He graduated as an emergency medical technician in 2009 and was a volunteer fireman.
The Wood County Fire Marshal is investigating the fire, Jones said. Wood County could not be reached for comment because of the holiday.
“It was a tragedy,” Jones said.