“We have about 6,300 customers out of power in Smith County, and these are new numbers,” he said shortly before 10 a.m. “They (outages) are pretty well scattered, everything from Lindale to the north and then south to Jacksonville.”
Smith County Fire Marshal's Office sent fire crews from Red Springs, Winona and Dixie departments to work multiple accidents on U.S. 271 north of Tyler and FM 14 north of Interstate 20.
Heavy runoff could cause flooding in creeks and streams and spill over onto streets and low-lying areas, the NWS warned. Motorists should avoid these areas.
A flash flood warning means flooding is imminent or occurring.
Tyler firefighters were battling a blaze in the 3400 block of Timber Lane off Old Omen Road, fire officials said. One occupant of the house transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation, fire investigator Tony Gumber said. The fire remained under investigation.
Several stations responded to the fire, which was called in around 9:15 a.m.
It was unclear if the fire was weather-related.
In a separate incident, emergency personnel were responding to a report of a downed power line off Santa Rosa Drive in Tyler.
The line reportedly ignited portions of a tree, but there were no confirmed numbers of people without power in that area.
Today's forecast calls for a 40 percent chance of rain, with those chances increasing to 50 percent tonight, according to the NWS. Saturday's forecast calls for a 60 percent chance of rain during the day and then 50 percent at night.
Some storms could be severe, according to the NWS.
Showers and thunderstorms are expected to continue Sunday, with a 60 percent chance of precipitation. The rain chances decrease to 40 percent Sunday night.