EAST MOUNTAIN -- Four fire departments battled a blaze which heavily damaged A.W.'s Country Store Wednesday morning, said Upshur County Fire Marshal Paul Steelman.
Steelman said a store employee told him someone was cooking inside the building, and the fire marshal said an "apparently unattended pot of grease caught fire."
The inside of the store, located on Texas Highway 300 at the intersection with Farm-to-Market Road 726, was "pretty much" a total loss, said Steelman. Fire damage occurred primarily to the kitchen area and office, while the rest of the interior sustained smoke and water damage, he said.
Steelman said he would investigate the blaze, but there was no indication its origin was suspicious. Nobody was injured, he said.
The fire, reported at 9:29 a.m. in a 911 call, drew firefighters from Gilmer, East Mountain, Glenwood and Diana, said Steelman. The blaze was considered under control within about 45 minutes after firefighters arrived, he said.