The Tyler affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure announced recipients of grants totaling $270,000 to East Texas non-profit organizations today.
They are: Northeast Texas Public Health District, East Texas Medical Center’s Pin-a-Sister Breast Awareness Campaign, American Cancer Society’s Reach to Recovery and Transportation Program, and Trinity Mother Frances Health System Foundation’s Here for the Journey.
The grants will be used for breast health education, screening and services. In addition, $15,000 is available for small grants and applications will be available through komentyler.org.
The grants review panel was comprised of local community members who reviewed all requests. The grants were awarded according to applicability to the priority results of the Community Profile, a needs assessment conducted in 2011.
A similar assessment was completed in 2009. The funds for the grants were raised at the 2011 Komen Tyler Race for the Cure.
“These funded programs provide crucial education and screening services for women in East Texas,” said Wendy Johnson, Komen Tyler grants chairwoman, in a written statement. “Our grantees are our partners in breast health education and in carrying out our mission. This is why the support of our community is so important, to ensure all women have access to care.”
Komen Tyler, along with those who gave support is working to better the lives of those facing breast cancers in our community, officials said.
Through events like the Komen Tyler Race for the Cure, the local affiliate has invested more than $2 million in breast health and breast cancer awareness projects in Smith County. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Komen Tyler Affiliate stay in Smith County, Tyler affiliate officials said. The remaining 25 percent goes to the national Susan G. Komen for the Cure Grants Program for energizing science to find the cures.
The Tyler Race for the Cure will be held on Saturday, May 12. For more information, visit www.komentyler.org to register. Online registration is open now and continues through May 4 to have a packet mailed.
Race week registration will be held on May 9-11 at Brookshire’s on Rice Road from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Race Day registration begins at 6:30 a.m. For more information about the Komen Tyler Race for the Cure call the local affiliate office at 903 561-6992.
* Northeast Texas Public Health District Breast Health and Screening Initiative was awarded $228,596.
The purpose of this program is to allow access for all women to breast screening and diagnostic procedures, regardless of their ability to pay. This program will provide clinical services for breast screenings and diagnostics for low-income, uninsured or underinsured women, at risk women, those under the age of 50 or those who are symptomatic and not eligible for diagnostic services. “Because of this funding through Susan G. Komen, thousands of women are able to receive screenings, diagnostics and the support needed with a cancer diagnosis” says Stephanie Taylor, Director of Community Outreach and Assistance, NETPHD.
* East Texas Medical Center Cancer Institute Breast Care Center Pin-A-Sister Program was awarded $15,500.
The ETMC Breast Care Center program Pin-A-Sister™ Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign is considered a landmark means of raising breast cancer awareness and the importance of early detection among African-American women in Smith County. The program, which originally pioneered in Chicago, is a meaningful outreach designed to reduce disparities in access to screenings and treatment. Women pledge their commitment, in a church service or other ceremony, to early breast cancer detection by pinning each other with the Pin-A-Sister lapel pin. This opportunity allows breast cancer patients and survivors to witness first hand to others the importance of early detection.
* American Cancer Society Reach to Recovery and Transportation Program was awarded $25,000.
The American Cancer Society will provide transportation services to breast cancer survivors. This includes gas cards, Road to Recovery volunteer drivers and cab vouchers. Smith County has active Reach to Recovery volunteers who visit newly diagnosed breast cancer patients to offer recovery supplies (breast prostheses, wigs and recovery bras), information and support. The transportation and recovery services, provided free of charge, assure the patient moves smoothly through the continuum of care.
* Trinity Mother Frances Health System Foundation Here for the Journey was awarded $904.
Trinity Mother Frances Hospitals and Clinics in collaboration with A Woman’s Touch is working locally to provide breast cancer rehabilitation products (lymphedema sleeves) to medically underserved women in Smith County who cannot otherwise afford them. Women seeking support through this program are asked to complete a short income and insurance verification form to determine eligibility.