Shout Outs: From our readers to those who matter most to them

Published on Thursday, 23 January 2014 00:40 - Written by


On Dec. 21, 2013, Ms. Wanda L. Allen was honored at a luncheon hosted by her daughter, Tanya D. Allen, at the Potpourri House in Tyler. Wanda Allen has been a resident of Tyler for more than 60 years. She is a highly respected minister of music and pillar of the community. Many of her musical groups, family, pastor, friends and community attended. The luncheon theme was a celebration of “LIFE, MUSIC & VISION.”

She was presented with a proclamation and resolution from the State of Texas by State Rep. Borris L. Miles. In addition, Grammy & Stellar Gospel award winning artist Kathy Taylor was flown in to honor her in song. Her daughter and Tyler native, Tanya D. Allen, created the event to honor and celebrate Ms. Wanda Allen’s contributions to her community, churches and family and to also launch J&W Enterprise (which is the vision she inspired) to bring stellar events to the community of Tyler. She is still the minister of music at Greater St. Mary Baptist Church here in Tyler. We consider her truly a “Tyler Rose.”

— Andre James, Tyler, music coordinator,

J&W Enterprise


I really don’t know what to say. This past Tuesday evening I was having dinner with my family. I started having chest pains (never before). We live in the county area and knew that if I called 911, it might take a little time, and I knew that I would be at the ETMC 24–our clinic on South Broadway quicker. I told my wife to drive, and this was less than 5 minutes, we arrived at the clinic, and all I remember is getting out of the car to go in while my wife parked.

I woke up in an ambulance on the way to ETMC. I did not know what happened, but this is what conspired to save my life. I had gotten out of the car and went into cardiac arrest. My wife went screaming in for help, and all I can say is God sent his angels. Dr. Leach and his staff went into action. My wife stated that the doctor started CPR and continued for over 10 minutes until my heart came back beating. She said it was like there were angels.

They knew what to do and didn’t panic. I am a 53-year-old man who really watches what he eats, goes regularly to his doctor, anddoes his annual test and blood work. I follow what the doctors tell me, and I work for a hospital as part of administration, so I know what to look for. But this was all of a sudden. To make a long story shorter, I went into cardiac arrest ( only 3 percent to 5 percent survival rate) on Tuesday night and walked out of the hospital Friday morning, healthier and more in touch with God and family.

With what the team did there at the clinic, I have no heart damage. They repaired the artery, and I am alive to spend more time with my wife and children. Only because of my angels.

Dr. Leach and staff will always be in my prayers, and remember to always call 911. I was just one of the lucky ones, and I was told that if my wife would not have driven me to a medical facility, I would not have survived. God sent me. I love you all.

— David Crouch,



“Now what do I do?” The question kept running through my mind, but nothing popped up labeled “Try this.”

I lie on the sidewalk with my broken walker beside me. It was a four-wheel walker, but a front wheel had come off. Suddenly my balance was gone, and I fell.

Over the years, peripheral neuropathy had lessened my ability to walk, and at 92, staying upright was a daily battle. Getting myself up off the sidewalk was an impossibility. I had just exited Chicken Express, but strangely there was no one else in sight.

I touched the spot on my head where I had pain and then looked at my hand. Blood on it confirmed that there was a problem. God had seen me through many tough spots, including combat in WWII. I needed an angel.

I watched as a fellow in a pickup drove by on the Old Jacksonville Highway. To my surprise, he made a U-turn and came back. He was a young man of about 35, and I learned later that he had been exercising at a nearby fitness center.

After inquiring about what had happened and surveying my situation, he helped me get up and managed to load me into his pickup. He phoned a friend of mine and my son and then drove me to the ETMC clinic on South Broadway and waited with me.

Both my friend and my son came to the clinic, but the kind stranger stayed. Only after the doctor had stitched up my head and dismissed me did he leave.

Later when I was home in my recliner, I realized that I had experienced a biblical account of helplessness and human kindness. I was, indeed, the desperate man beside the road who was rescued by the Good Samaritan. The compassionate passerby was not named in the New Testament account, and, unfortunately, I failed to learn the identity of the Good Samaritan of Tyler who came to my aid. I hope that he will read this message and know that I am deeply grateful.

— Bill Robertson,



One of the most amazing and effective working women in Tyler has got to be Joyce Murphy of Green Acres Animal Clinic. In person or over the phone, she greets people with cheery overtones and, upon hearing who’s calling, asks “And how is ‘Fluffy’ today?” (naming your pet before you remind her.)

Not to be overlooked is the “AV degree” (Almost a Veterinarian) she has earned with all the animal savvy she has picked up and passed on to Dr. Jones’ hundreds of patients through the years.

She passes along Dr. Jones’ chart groaners, such as “Can’t hold his licker!” and laughs along with you even if it is frequent fare for the good Doc.

Finally, when duty calls for it, she grieves alongside you as you say farewell to a beloved friend.

Cheerful, comforting, knowledgeable, efficient—three barks for Joyce!

— Richard Huggins,


We’re always looking for more Shout Outs! Send them to us at