Suspect Tased multiple times after resisting arrest, hospitalized after going into convulsions

Published on Monday, 30 October 2017 19:07 - Written by LOUANNA CAMPBELL,

A suspect was hospitalized after being tased multiple times by Smith County law enforcement officials who tried to subdue him after they said he threw drugs on the ground, ran from deputies and resisted arrest. 

According to news release sent Monday afternoon, a sheriff's deputy pulled over a pickup truck with an expired registration in the 11800 block of Texas Highway 64 about 1:30 p.m. Friday. The driver exited the vehicle and began to walk away when the deputy started approaching the vehicle, according to the sheriff's office. 

The driver, DeAndre Foster, 33, of Tyler, engaged in a short conversation with the deputy after the traffic stop, but became agitated and reached into his pocket pulling out several items that fell to the ground, including  a clear plastic baggie containing what appeared to be an illegal controlled substance, according to the sheriff's office.  

They attempted to place Foster under arrest, but he pulled away and then attempted to run away, according to the sheriff's office. A Smith County Deputy Constable arrived to back up the deputies as Foster attempted to flee.

The sheriff's office said the constable deployed his Taser, causing Foster to fall to the ground, but he was able to free himself and tried to run away again.

The deputy hit Foster with his Taser and he fell to the ground a second time, according to the sheriff's office. 

Foster fought against and resisted the deputies and constable while they tried to put him in handcuffs. Foster was Tased a third time and still continued to resist, according to officials. 

They were able to get Foster under control and into handcuffs after they applied two more stuns with the Taser.  

Deputies called for an ambulance when they noticed Foster having convulsions.

Foster was taken to a local hospital, where he remained Monday.