BBB serving Central East Texas is alerting consumers about an East Texas roofing and construction business after several consumers filed complaints alleging the business did not complete projects, deliver materials, or refund their money.
Complainants state they paid several thousand dollars for JW Roofing and Construction in Winona to begin their project, however, all claim the work was never started and were only given excuses as to why the work could not be done. BBB has reached out several times to Jerry Whitley, owner of JW Roofing and Construction, however, to this date BBB has not received a response.
JW Roofing and Construction has an F rating on its BBB Business Profile which alerts consumers that the business has not responded to BBB.
“It’s important to do your homework before choosing any company,” said Mechele Agbayani Mills, President and CEO of BBB serving Central East Texas. “It’s even more important to do so when the cost of the product or service is a considerable amount of money.”
When considering hiring a contractor, BBB offers the following tips:
- Check out the business. Go to bbb.org for business profiles that contain customer reviews and complaint details.
- Ask for multiple quotes. You should always shop around and get at least three quotes from different businesses. Make sure all bids consider the same set of criteria. Remember, the lowest bid may not necessarily be the best bid; if one bid is significantly lower than the others are, the contractor may be cutting corners or may not understand your work requirements.
- Get it in writing. Always get estimates in writing and never let any work begin without a written and signed contract. Do not be pressured into signing an agreement before you are ready and make sure you read and understand everything before signing.
- Arrange a payment schedule. Never pay in full up front. The rule of thirds is great to use: a third up front, a third in the middle and a third when the project is complete.
- Get a receipt. Request a receipt marked “Paid in Full” when the job is completed and your final payment is made.
- Keep your contract. Do not throw your contract away after the project is completed. Keep it for future reference or if any questions arise after the work is complete.
- Think about future service issues. Make sure you are aware of your warranty coverage and how to deal with service issues.
BBB serving Central East Texas fosters a trustworthy marketplace by maintaining standards for truthful advertising and by investigating and exposing fraud against consumers and businesses. Please go to bbb.org or call 903-581-5704 24 hours a day for information on businesses throughout North America. To report fraudulent activity or unscrupulous business practices, go to BBB Scam Tracker.