Thousands fill downtown Tyler for 2016 Komen Race for the Cure

Published on Saturday, 7 May 2016 20:43 - Written by PHIL HICKS, phicks@tylerpaper.com

Love Lives Here, women's event at Harvey Hall codes:
Prev  1 of 22  Next

T.B. Butler Fountain Plaza and the Downtown Tyler square were awash in pink as the 18th Annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure unfolded on a beautiful East Texas Saturday morning.

This was the second straight year the race was held in the Rose City’s downtown area after 16 earlier races were held in the Azalea District with the start and finish at Bergfeld Park.

There were competitive runners, but the day was also filled with walkers, strollers and pets.

Andrade Nicholas, 32, was the overall male winner at 19 minutes and 11.47 seconds, while Elizabeth Wilson, 33, was the overall female winner at 21:15.

The top 5K Survivor finisher was 34-year-old Amy Hutto with a clocking of 27:35.65. She was followed by Neysa Roberts, 59, at 28:28.70 and Amber Paek, 62, at 28:38.63.

The race was dotted with runners with the official white T-shirts as well as blue and purple as organizers estimated more than 4,000 participated.

After registration and the survivors’ breakfast, the kid’s dash was the first race of the day. Then came the 1 Mile Fun Run, with many families and survivors celebrating their victory over cancer. Some runners and those on the sidelines held signs dedicated to fighters and survivors. They recognized loves ones for their strength and courage.

Race officials are hopeful of passing last year’s total of $230,000.

Some 75 percent of the net proceeds remain in Smith County to help the uninsured and underinsured get breast health screenings, treatment and education, according to an event news release. The remaining 25 percent is used to fund national research projects.

The Race for the Cure is the largest 5K event for the community to celebrate breast cancer survivors, honor those who have passed away and serve those in need. Breast cancer survivors wear a complimentary pink hat and T-shirt.

The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Series, the largest series of 5K runs/fitness walks in the world, raises significant funds and awareness for the fight against breast cancer, celebrates breast cancer survivorship and honors those who have lost their battle with the disease.

Since its inception in 1983, the Komen Race for the Cure series has grown from one local race with 800 participants to a global series of more than 120 races with more than 1 million people expected to participate in 2016.

For more information, visit KomenTyler.org.

TWITTER: @PhilHicksETFS