Winona residents can return to their homes after a gas leak caused evacuations and business closures in the city.
Bryan Richards, the city’s police chief and city administrator, said in a statement that utility workers found a gas leak about 2 p.m. in the 500 block of Texas Highway 155.
Local businesses as well as residents in the area were notified and evacuated as a safety precaution, and gas was turned off to the area, the statement reads.
The evacuation was lifted Wednesday evening, but the gas remained shut off throughout tonight to allow all the gas lines to empty.
The gas lines will be re-welded Thursday morning and the gas will be turned back on, according to the city.
A team will be going to businesses and residences to assist with re-lighting pilot lights Thursday.
Winona and Red Springs Fire Departments as well as EMS also responded to the incident.