Tyler firefighters battled two separate structure fires Monday night and urged residents to be careful with electrical devices.
Crews were called to a single-story home in the 1700 block of West 24th Street. about 1 a.m., according to a news release from the Tyler Fire Department. Six fire department units responded to the scene.
Flames were coming through the roof when firefighters arrived. The home is considered a total loss, the release states.
No one was inside the house, and no one was injured.
The second fire happened around 3:40 a.m. in the 2400 block of Old Gladewater Highway. Three engines and one ladder company, along with a district chief and an investigator responded to the scene.
The fire started in the kitchen and was sparked by an overloaded electrical system, the release states. The home was moderately damaged.
The home’s residents were able to get out of the house, and no one was injured.
Residents should take precautions when using electrical equipment in their homes, the release states.
An estimated average of 47,820 home fires each year involve electrical failure or malfunction, according to the National Fire Protection Association.
Residents are urged to consider the following recommendations:
- Never use extension cords with appliances. Plug them directly into wall outlets.
- Replace worn or damaged cords immediately. Do not try to repair them.
- Avoid putting cords where they can be damaged or pinched.
- Buy only appliances approved by a recognized testing lab.
- Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage.
- Have all electrical work done by a licensed electrician.
For more information on fire prevention and safety, please contact the Tyler Fire Marshal’s Office at 903-535-0007.