House fire damages Winona home Sunday

Published on Sunday, 25 August 2013 22:28 - Written by Staff Reports

A Sunday house fire heavily damaged a Winona home, but no one was injured.

Smith County Fire Marshal Jim Seaton said the fire sparked in the 1100 block of Dallas Street at 12:42 p.m., across the street from the Winona Volunteer Fire Department. Red Springs and Jackson Heights Volunteer departments also responded to the scene. Crews arrived on scene in about 4 minutes, he said.

Seaton said the fire was started from a window air conditioner unit that was plugged into an extension cord, and the fire damage was confined to one room, but the house received heavy smoke and heat damage.

The family was home at the time and was able to get out safely. The home was not insured but is repairable, he said.

House fires inside city limits are usually handled by the city fire departments, but Seaton said he was called for a second opinion. The fire has been deemed accidental and is no longer under investigation.