City accepting applications for boards and commissionsCity accepting applications for boards and commissions

Published on Wednesday, 3 July 2013 19:27 - Written by Staff Reports

The city of Tyler is currently accepting applications from residents to serve on city boards and commissions, according to a press release.

The deadline to apply is Aug. 16 and City Council will make appointments at its Aug. 28 meeting.

To serve on a board or commission, applicants must reside inside the city limits and should not have any delinquent city taxes, city utilities or other city assessments, the press release stated.  In addition, they must not have any pending claims against the city. There may be additional requirements for some board positions.

“This is a perfect way for citizens to plug in and get involved in shaping our community,” Mayor Barbara Bass said in the release. “The city’s boards and commissions play a vital role in making recommendations to City Council,” she said.

Residents who are appointed to serve on a City of Tyler board or commission will serve voluntarily, without pay, for a two-year term. The boards and commissions include:


Regular Boards (Boards that meet monthly or bi-monthly)

Airport Advisory Board

Historical Preservation Board

Keep Tyler Beautiful Board

Library Board

Neighborhood Revitalization Board

One-Half Cent Sales Tax Board 

Parks Board

Planning and Zoning Commission

North East Texas Public Health District Board

Traffic Safety Board

Board of Adjustment (Zoning)


Periodic Boards (Boards that meet only as needed)

Civil Service Commission

Construction Board of Adjustments

Disabilities Issue Review Board

Health Facilities Development Corp.

Industrial Development Corp.


“Boards and Commissions fulfill an important role in City government by evaluating issues which affect our community and making recommendations to the Council for needed action,” City Manager Mark McDaniel said in the release.

Residents interested in serving can download an application online at . Applications can also be picked up at the City Clerk’s Office in City Hall, 212 N. Bonner Ave, or residents can call the City Clerk at 903-531-1106 and have an application faxed or mailed.