Tyler: Juried art exhibit opens Saturday at Gallery Main

Published on Friday, 11 July 2014 00:02 - Written by Kelly Gooch kgooch@tylerpaper.com

A new juried art exhibit featuring various media and interpretations opens this weekend at Gallery Main Street.

The exhibit, called “Diversity,” opens Saturday at the gallery in downtown Tyler at 110 W. Erwin St. A come-and-go reception is scheduled from 5:30 to 8 p.m. that day. According to a news release, the free event includes music and refreshments.

Beverly Abell, of the city of Tyler’s Main Street Department, said “Diversity” contains 15 pieces in different media, including mixed, acrylic and “a variety of off-the-wall kinds of materials.”

She said she was particularly surprised by the interpretations of the theme this time.

A lot of times a person could almost guess what will be submitted based on the theme, she said, but in this case, the exhibit, which she described as “a pretty interpretive abstract show,” includes diversity as far as materials used, colors and techniques.

“With every juried exhibit, we try to choose very general themes that allow for a variety of media and interpretations,” Ms. Abell said. “Sometimes we expect to see one thing submitted, and we’re pleasantly surprised to see other, very imaginative interpretations submitted instead. Such is the case with this exhibit.”

She added by phone Thursday, “It’s always fun to see what other people think a theme means.”

Ms. Abell said the exhibit runs through Sept. 8. She noted that pieces are for sale, with 80 percent of proceeds going to the artist and the remaining 20 percent going toward gallery operations.

More information on the gallery and its exhibits is available at www.DowntownTylerArts.com or by calling 903-593-6905.