VIDEO: Man arrested in Longview double murder case after chase

Published on Monday, 16 June 2014 08:53 - Written by Staff Reports

Prev  1 of 2  Next

A Gregg County double-homicide suspect was arrested in Tyler Sunday morning after a long chase through the city’s streets.

Longview police were called to the 300 block of Thelma Street about 9 a.m. for a shooting, according to a news release from the Longview Police Department.

Two shooting victims were found outside the home and taken to a local hospital, where one died, according to the release. A third victim died at the scene.

Officers tried to stop a man seen fleeing the scene in a truck, but he ran from police.

Tyler officers were notified about 9:20 a.m. that the man, identified as 29-year-old Isaiah Christopher Roberts, was entering the city limits on U.S. Highway 271 in a black Dodge pickup.

Two Longview police, as well as others from the Smith County Sheriff’s Office, Texas Department of Public Safety and constables, were chasing Roberts as he entered the city limits, according to a news release from Tyler police.

Tyler officers put out spikes in two different spots but were unable to stop Roberts.

He went south on U.S. 271, west on Gentry Parkway and through the intersection of Palace Avenue, where he caused a major accident involving four vehicles.

Officers stopped to help people injured in the crash, but the pursuit continued west down Gentry Parkway onto Van Highway, onto Loop 323 and then onto Texas Highway 31, where Roberts turned east on Front Street and then west on Glenwood Boulevard.

Roberts stopped his car and was arrested at the intersection of Glenwood and Hill Street. Two firearms were found in his car when he was arrested, according to police.

He was booked into the Smith County Jail on five counts of accident involving serious injury, a third-degree felony, as well as one count of evading arrest with a vehicle, which also is a third-degree felony. His bonds totaled $150,000.

Roberts also was charged with murder in Gregg County, but as of press time no bond was set for the charge.