Apartment fire displaces 3 families

Published on Friday, 16 May 2014 23:28 - Written by From Staff Reports

Tyler Fire Department gained control of a two-alarm structure fire about 3:50 p.m. Friday at an apartment complex at 323 Chimney Rock, Assistant Fire Marshall Laura Mason said.

Seven engines, one ladder company, along with a district chief and an investigator, responded to the scene.

Maintenance personnel for the complex were performing plumbing work when the fire in a wall was discovered, Ms. Mason said.

Apartment personnel attempted to put the fire out until Tyler Fire Department firefighters arrived. Three out of four apartments in the building were occupied, but no one was home at the time of the fire.

All three families will be displaced until repairs are made. The four apartments in the building were damaged with smoke, heat and fire. The fire was accidental, Ms. Mason said.

The initial call was received at 2:49 p.m., and the caller reported seeing fire in a wall. The first units saw smoke when arriving on the scene and called for a second alarm.