26-year-old Eustace man gets 30 years

Published on Tuesday, 8 April 2014 23:40 - Written by Staff Reports

Jeremy Jarrett, 26, of Eustace, was sentenced to 30 years in the state penitentiary Monday by Judge Carter Tarrance of the 392nd Judicial District Court for a number of offenses, including aggravated robbery on Sept. 18, 2013.

That day, Athens police received a 911 call from the wife of the night shift clerk at the Valero gas station, 805 E. Corsicana St., who said she saw a man, later identified as Jarrett, walk into the store and hold a large hunting knife to her husband’s throat, District Attorney Scott McKee said.

Athens police officers Sgt. Jason McEntire and Dana Dykes arrived as Jarrett was leaving. Upon seeing the officers, Jarrett jumped into his truck and fled.

McKee said police chased Jarrett toward Texas Highway 31 East, exceeding speeds of 70 mph in the Athens city limits. Once outside the city, Jarrett reached speeds in excess of 100 mph as Athens police pursued him down Texas Highway 31 toward Tyler.

When the pursuit reached Murchison, Athens officers deployed a “spike strip,” designed to deflate the tires of a fleeing vehicle, but Jarrett continued traveling at speeds of 85 mph on the truck rims, eventually reaching Brownsboro.

Once in Brownsboro, Jarrett slowed his car, only to put it into reverse, backing into the pursuing Athens officers, causing damage to two patrol cars.

Jarrett then crossed over the grassy median separating the east and west lanes of traffic and attempted to head back toward Athens.

The Athens officers blocked Jarrett in the median with their patrol cars, and Jarrett became stuck. He was ordered out of the car at gunpoint but refused to cooperate with officers.

Officers deployed a Taser and took Jarrett into custody. $1,488 in cash and a large hunting knife was found on him.

A Henderson County grand jury indicted Jarrett in November 2013.

The six-count indictment alleged aggravated robbery, evading arrest with a deadly weapon, theft over $1,500, two counts of aggravated assault on a public servant and criminal mischief.

Jarrett pled guilty to all six counts and was sentenced to 30 years in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Assistant District Attorneys Danny Cox and Jenny Palmer prosecuted the case on behalf of Scott McKee’s District Attorney’s Office.