Man escapes housefire unscathed

Published on Wednesday, 19 February 2014 16:36 - Written by From Staff Reports

A Wood County man was unharmed after his home caught fire early Wednesday morning.

Scott Wheeler, Quitman Volunteer Fire Department chief, said they were called to a home in Holiday Village, west of the city near Lake Fork around 2:30 a.m.

Wheeler said it was dark and there were no flames visible flames at the home in the 700 block of Waterfront Drive.

“There was no fire showing when we go on scene,” Wheeler said. “It had pretty well burned itself out. There was no structural damage. It was all heat and smoke damage.”

The fire sparked near two couches in the living room. Firefighters believe it was started by electrical problems.

“His smoke detectors were going off and he heard a popping noise, and climbed out of a bedroom window to get outside,” Wheeler said.