A fire relief fund was set up for a single mother who lost her Arp home last week.
The home of Sharon Pratt, in the 100 block of Allen Street, caught fire around 4 p.m. Thursday afternoon, said her mother Bettye Andrews. The flames heavily damaged the master bedroom and bathroom, and the rest of the home sustained smoke and water damage, she said.
The home was not insured, and Ms. Pratt has a 21-year-old special needs son. Both are on disability. Ms. Pratt has gone through cancer and back surgery, her mother said.
A fire relief fund was set up at American State Bank, under the name Bettye Ann Andrews, Sharon and Stephen Pratt Relief Fund. Donations can be made at any bank location, including branches in Tyler on Texas 64, Old Jacksonville and Troup Highway.
Ms. Andrews credited the Arp fire department for saving the home. She said the fire station is a few blocks away and responded quickly.
Firefighters also saved the life of one of Stephen’s cats. Ms. Andrews said the family has two cats, and one made it out safely, while the other was affected by smoke. Firefighters gave the pet CPR until someone arrived with a pet oxygen mask.
Croup and Chapel Hill Fire Department also resonded to the fire.