An elderly Smith County man was flown to Parkland Hospital in Dallas for burns after his wheelchair became stuck near an out-of-control burn pile Tuesday.
The man had set a fire in a burn pile behind his home in the 12000 block of Mixon Road near Texas Highway 110 in Troup, said Kevin Londoff of the Smith County Fire Marshal's Office.
The 911 call came in about 2 p.m., saying the man was injured in a fire that got out of control.
Londoff said the man attempted to get away from the fire, but his wheelchair was stuck.
"A woman at the location went to help him, and she received a minor burn to her hand as she tried to get him away from the fire," he said.
Londoff said the man was taken to a Tyler hospital, but due to the extent of his injuries, he was flown to Dallas.
"All I can say is that his burns were bad enough for him to be transported to Dallas. The woman was treated at the scene," he said.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze.
"It is extremely important to use caution when burning,” Londoff said. “A fire can get out of control in a matter of seconds.”