Two-alarm fire displaces family, damages house

Published on Thursday, 9 January 2014 00:04 - Written by By Emily Guevara eguevara@tylerpaper.com

A fire damaged a central Tyler house Wednesday, displacing a family.

The two-alarm fire in the 1200 block of South Glenwood Boulevard was caused by an electrical malfunction, according to firefighters on scene.

City of Tyler Deputy Fire Marshal James Suggs said a damaged electrical cord from a small freezer caused an electrical arc and excessive heating, which in turn caused 2-by-4s in the wall to catch fire.

The fire spread through the wall and into the attic, where it caused heavy damage.

No one was home at the time of the incident and no pets were inside. A neighbor reported the fire after seeing smoke. Firefighters were able to control the fire within 10 minutes of arriving on scene.

The call came into dispatch shortly before 10:45 a.m., and the fire was reported under control by 11:01 a.m.

Suggs said the two-bedroom house was about 50 percent damaged and would be uninhabitable for at least the immediate future. He urged people to install working smoke detectors in each room and the hallways. Fire department officials also reminded residents to be cautious when dealing with electricity at home and call a qualified electrician or their landlord if they notice any unusual conditions.

Bobby Drewy, 48, who works as an upholsterer, lived in the house with his wife and 13-year-old son. He said they have rented it for about three years.