Convicted man gets 20 years in burglary case

Published on Monday, 23 December 2013 23:11 - Written by KELLY GOOCH

A Cherokee County man has been sentenced for two counts of burglary of a habitation, the Cherokee County District Attorney’s Office announced Monday.

Willis Green, 38, was found guilty of the two counts earlier this month and was later sentenced by Second Judicial District Court Judge Dwight Phifer, according to a news release.

Cherokee County Assistant District Attorney Charles Breaux, who assisted the lead prosecutor on the case, Deborah Dictson, also with the district attorney’s office, said Green received two 10-year prison sentences, to run concurrently, but the 10-year sentence for the second count was suspended. He said Green received 10 years of probation on the second count, but will go to prison on the first count.

If Green gets parole on the first count, “he will then have to report to adult probation and follow all conditions set by the court,” according to a news release. “If he fails to…comply with the probation conditions, Green faces up to 10 additional years in prison.”

Cherokee County District Attorney Rachel Patton said that she is pleased with the outcome.

Sten Langsjoen, who represented Green, did not immediately return a phone message Monday afternoon seeking comment about the case.

Breaux said the charges for burglary of a habitation, a second-degree felony, stem from break-ins that occurred in April on property outside of Alto.

He said two cabins on the property were broken into, and Green stole multiple items, including copper wiring and electrical breakers.

He said surveillance showed Green going into the area where the cabins are and then leaving about an hour later. According to a news release, Green went in “carrying a gun and an empty rucksack” and left “with a full rucksack.” 

“He gave a statement to the sheriff’s detective that he had been on the property and had gone in to at least one of cabins, but denied taking anything,” Breaux said.

According to a news release, Green also owned up “to having stolen scrap metal off the property before and selling it at local scrap yards.”

“Later during Detective (Joey) Ray’s interview, Green slipped and admitted that anything the victim said was missing, he had already sold to the local scrap yard in Alto,” the news release states.

Breaux said Green also has pending felony cases.