UPDATE: After investigation, it was determined the fire started due to a faulty relay switch that operated the exhaust fan over the grill. Because the exhaust fan did not operate, excessive heat was able to build up inside the duct work, causing the fire. The fire was contained inside duct work and firefighters were able to extinguish the fire before any structural damage was sustained. Due to firefighting activities, the presence of smoke in the building, and the extinguishing system over the grill being discharged, the Health Department was notified.
A fire at the On The Border restaurant at Loop 323 and South Broadway Avenue this morning was contained quickly, Tyler Fire Marshal Paul Findlay said.
The initial call was received around 10 a.m. Arriving units reported smoke conditions upon arrival and a second alarm was called. Eight fire department units were dispatched. Initial reports indicate that the fire originated in the kitchen area, near the vent hood. While the fire has been contained, firefighters are currently working to ensure the fire has been completely extinguished.