After nearly seven decades in business, Gilbert’s El Charro has closed its No. 2 restaurant on Fifth Street.
A sign on the door this afternoon reads, “We would like to thank you for 69.5 years and three days of wonderful memories. We love y’all. Gilbert’s El Charro Rest. are now officially closed.”
The original El Charro Restaurant, on East Erwin Street, has been closed for renovations since May 6. A sign on that restaurant encourages customers to visit the Fifth Street eatery while the restaurant undergoes kitchen remodeling and repairs. But one of the owners confirmed that both restaurants are now closed.
The late Gilbert Ramirez Sr. opened the first El Charro in 1943, about two decades after coming to the United States from Reynosa, Mexico. He built El Charro No. 1 on East Erwin Street in 1952. The No. 2 location opened in 1962. Gilbert Sr.'s wife, Arabelia Ramirez, and their children have operated the restaurants since he died in 1975. All six Ramirez children grew up around the restaurants and have had a hand in running the business.