Man burned when wheelchair gets stuck near out-of-control burn pile fire

Published on Tuesday, 14 January 2014 15:58 - Written by

BY KENNETH DEAN, kdean@tylerpaper.com

An elderly Smith County man has been flown to Parkland Hospital in Dallas for burns after his wheelchair became stuck near an out-of-control burn pile this afternoon.

Kevin Londoff of the Smith County Fire Marshal's Office said the man had set a fire in a burn pile behind his home int he 12000 block of Mixon Road near Texas Highway 110 in Troup. 

"The 911 call came in about 2 p.m. that the man had been injured by the fire which got out of control and firefighters responded," he said.

Londoff said the man attempted to get away from the fire, but his wheelchair was stuck and he could not get away.

"A woman at the location went to help him and she received a minor burn to her hand as she tried to get him away from the fire," he said.

Londoff said the man was transported to a Tyler hospital, but due to the extent of his injuries, he was flown to Dallas.

"All I can say is that his burns were bad enough for him to be transported to Dallas. The woman was treated at the scene," he said.

The fire was extinguished by firefighters and no property was lost.

"It is extremely important to use caution when burning. A fire can get out of control in a matter of seconds," Londoff said.