A gas leak at the Smith County Jail construction site has been repaired, according to Smith County Fire Marshal Jim Seaton.
Seaton said the leaking gas went straight up in the air and dissipated quickly, greatly minimizing any danger.
Tyler Fire Marshal Paul Findley said Tyler firefighters were dispatched after receiving the initial call at 12:07 p.m. at the new Smith County Jail construction site. A construction crew contacted a 4-inch gas line while digging, causing it to rupture. Along with the Tyler Fire Department, officers with the Tyler Police Department and representatives with CenterPoint Energy were on-scene throughout the incident. Air monitoring was conducted in the area and the atmosphere was deemed safe for area residents, workers, and visitors, Findley confirmed.
Area streets were blocked off while personnel worked to repair the line. CenterPoint Energy crews successfully stopped the leak at approximately 1:30pm. Work at the site has resumed and there were no reported injuries, Findley said.