Fire at Tyler nursing home was pine needles, not gas line

Published on Thursday, 20 February 2014 14:17 - Written by

BY KENNETH DEAN, kdean@tylerpaper.com

Tyler Fire Marshal Paul Findley said a reported fire at the Park Place Nursing Home at 2450 E. Fifth St. earlier today was not a gas line on fire, but pine needles in vicinity of a gas line.

"The call came out as the gas line was on fire, so that could have been a real bad deal. But it was a discarded cigarette that caught some pine needles on fire," he said.

Tyler firefighters and police officers rushed to the scene in order to evacuate residents if needed, but were quickly cleared from the scene.